I just realized I have a superpower! Ordinarily this would be thrilling news; but sadly, my superpower seems to be procrastination:
I usually write my blog drafts on Mondays, but we were in Calgary last week and our 90-minute flight home on Sunday turned into a 24-hour ordeal due to fog. By the time we finally got home late Monday afternoon I was too tired to write (although I somehow found the energy to work on our upstairs renovation). I promised myself I’d write my draft first thing Tuesday morning.
But Tuesday morning I slept in until 7:30 AM, and then a tech showed up at 9:15 to work on our security system; so I couldn’t get started until after he left.
Then I got sidetracked by a few more issues with our upstairs renovation.
At last I settled down to write; but my knuckles were dry and cracked from the work I’d done the night before, so I had to go and rub on some hand lotion.
That’s when I realized that my fingernails had grown ridiculously long. (Okay, for me ‘ridiculously long’ means ‘a couple of millimetres’; but that’s irrelevant. They were TOO LONG, and desperately needed to be trimmed.) That used up some more time.
And while I was standing there clipping my nails, I noticed that the soap dispenser had grotty blobs of soap clinging to it. So I had to clean it.
Then when I cruised by the kitchen counter on my way to my laptop, I got waylaid by the spiced nuts and caramel popcorn and homemade Bits & Bites left over from Christmas.
Many handfuls minutes later I managed to tear myself away from the caloric free-for-all and plop into my chair… only to discover that it was noon; and therefore time for lunch. Dang.
After lunch I had to put a roast in the slow cooker so it would be ready for supper.
Finally at one-thirty I made it to my chair and started typing, mainly because my anxiety over the deadline had finally exceeded my urge to delay.
But if it had been a task I truly wanted to avoid, I could have procrastinated much longer. I have a whole arsenal of excuses excellent reasons:
- Planning: One shouldn’t dive into action without adequate planning, right? (If you’re about to remind me of my usual jump-in-with-both feet tendencies… just… shhhh.)
- Re-planning: Things change (especially if I’ve procrastinated long enough) so I have to plan all over again. (See also ‘re-re-planning’ and ‘re-re-re-planning’.)
- Cleaning house: That’s not procrastinating; that’s protecting our health.
- Reading: I’m topping up my well of creativity.
- Baking: Homemade treats are much healthier than bought ones. These cookies might save our lives!
- Research: To the untrained observer it might look as though I’m scrolling LOLCats, but I’m actually doing in-depth research into current memes. For my books. Yeah, that’s it.
- Social media: That’s ‘advertising and promotion’.
Now that I’ve discovered my superpower, I’m working on my superhero name. WaitWoman? DelayDame? SuperStaller? One thing’s for sure: My superhero suit won’t include a fuchsia cape.
But maybe I’d better do some planning and research before I make a final decision.
And I just noticed some dust that needs to be cleaned up.
And I’m out of cookies.
Oh, look! LOLCats…
What’s your superpower?