I originally thought I might start off 2018 with a look at last year’s highlights, and maybe throw in a few New Year’s resolutions just to round things out. But I don’t bother with resolutions, and even if I did they’d be pretty much the same as everybody else’s: “Stop pigging out on Christmas goodies”; “Find new hiding places for the dead bodies of errant contractors”… y’know, the usual. And the top stories of 2017 were mostly depressing.
So instead of reviewing the questionable activities of our current world leaders, I’d rather look at what it might be like if we were governed by the benevolent despots we all know and love: our pets.
If cats ruled the world… we’d be slaves:
- Naps are mandatory, with a minimum total naptime of 12 hours per day. Disturbing a napping cat is an offense punishable by a life sentence on litter-box duty with no chance of parole.
- Vegetables and condiments are banned. All meals shall consist of meat and dairy only, with an occasional live mouse just to keep things interesting.
- All homes must have at least one window that admits direct sunlight; and a soft piece of furniture must be kept in the sunbeam for the sole use of the cat.
- Humans must take shifts creating a lap for the cat and providing petting services. (Unless the cat decides, in its sole discretion and without prior warning, that it doesn’t want to be petted anymore. Petting an unwilling cat is an offense punishable on the spot by flaying with claws.)
- Fur is never to be removed from the cat’s favourite sleeping place. It should be allowed to build up year after year into a felted nest the exact size and shape of the cat.
- Litter boxes must be cleaned within ten seconds of use.
- Humans should be spayed or neutered. Not because there’s any health benefit to the humans; just for revenge.
- Everything is a scratching post.
If dogs ruled the world… we’d be pets:
- Butt or crotch sniffing is the only acceptable method of greeting. Humans spread too many diseases with handshakes.
- To ensure optimum health, humans should be taken for long walks at least three times a day.
- Human walkers must stop frequently to observe their surroundings. This will be strictly enforced by their canine supervisors.
- Furniture is for the sole use of the dog. Humans are allowed on the furniture only if they provide belly rubs.
- Stinky substances must be rolled in with abandon. If humans don’t like the smell, they can sleep in the shed.
- Humans are not allowed to go anywhere unless accompanied by the dog.
- All meals for dogs shall be at least 50% larger than necessary. It is perfectly acceptable to eat one’s own vomit; and if humans don’t like it they can just look the other way.
- Everything is a chew toy.
Our household is currently despot pet-free but I’m considering adopting human versions of at least some of their laws; particularly the ones regarding naps, sunbeams, and walks. Those are New Year’s resolutions I can get behind.
But speaking of behind… I think I’ll skip the butt sniffing. That might be a teensy bit awkward on pub nights.
Happy New Year, everyone – wishing you all the best in 2018!