Well, we’re moving again: Out of our current rental (our term expires Friday) and into our friends’ place to housesit for a couple of weeks while they’re on vacation. We’re really hoping our place will be ready by the time they return. (Not that they’ll kick us out when they get back, but we’d really like to be in our own house!)
So… yesterday afternoon I was sitting in the mostly-empty-but-still-disorganized rental, trying to come up with a blog post in fifteen minutes or less while the phone rang frequently with house-related questions. My mind was in red alert mode: “AWOOGA-AWOOGA! NEXT CRISIS INCOMING AT TWO O’CLOCK! DECISION-MAKING CAPACITY CRITICALLY LOW! TOTAL SYSTEM FAILURE IN THREE… TWO…”
I took a deep breath or ten and thought, “It’s okay, I’ll just quickly write something off the wall…”
That’s when my overstressed brain got nitpicky: “No, idiot, you meant ‘off the cuff’; as in ‘informal, without preparation’, not ‘off the wall’; as in ‘eccentric, unexpected, unconventional’! How do you expect to write an intelligible blog post if you can’t even form a coherent thought?”
It was an excellent question; and one with a very simple answer: I can’t.
So I’m going with ‘off the cuff’ and ‘bouncing off the walls’, as in ‘nervous, confused, hyper’. That, I can do.
Here are a few events from this week’s jumble:
- One of my favourite aunts died this week at age 82, of complications from diabetes and heart disease. Even though distance prevented me from seeing her as often as I would have liked, her passing still leaves a hole in my life.
- The herring spawned in the strait outside our rental a few weeks ago and we’ve been enjoying all the action from front-row seats: the water turned milky jade-green (yes, the entire ocean – that’s a LOT of herring milt); scores of fishing boats rushed back and forth; thousands of seagulls swooped in; followed by thousands of ducks; followed by hundreds of seals and sea lions frolicking and barking only a few yards offshore. What a show!
- It’s almost spring: After the longest, coldest, snowiest winter on record (which must have been scheduled just for us newcomers), the snow is gone, the grass is green, and the rhododendrons and cherry trees are beginning to bloom. And I saw this cute little guy on one of my walks:
- Our housesitting gig comes with a friendly roommate: Blue the cat. After only one day he hasn’t quite forgiven us for not being ‘his people’, but it seems his affection can be bought with a can of Fancy Feast.
- Apparently my brand new 2017 Ford Escape had a leak from the factory-installed roof rack, so the body panels and spare tire liner have been marinating in stagnant water for the past six months. The whole thing smells like stinky socks when I turn on the heat, but I’m on my third trip to the dealer and it should be fixed soon.
- Work is proceeding on our house: We now have electricity, a working septic system, half a heating system, and most of a water supply. The walls of the garage/workshop/addition are all framed and the roof trusses are arriving today. It’s happening! It’s really happening! 🙂
Aaaaand that’s the wrap-up for this week, folks. What’s new with you?